Thursday, February 17, 2011

And it was good

Kinder went beautifully this week. I couldn't have been happier with what we have. It's so exciting when you get a schedule that works and makes the kids listen and they are learning. So rewarding! Hopefully it keeps up. On Monday I launched the official kinder schedule for 14 kindergarten kids in a 6' x 9' classroom. We begin each day by assigning jobs to 4 of the kids. The jobs include line leader, snack helper, trash collector and weather calendar. The kids who have the jobs raise their hand and get some acknowledgment. Then we move onto the weather calendar, when the person in charge draws what the weather is like and puts it on the correct day, to keep track. Following that we have the daily news, where we go around and ask each kid to share something and record it in a binder. This helps them begin to tell a story, and remember things from the day before. We then sing a song together, wash our hands, and the snack person helps pass out breakfast that I provide for the kids. Following that we clean up and start our morning activity. This week we've worked on tearing paper, crumpling up and gluing it, cutting, colors and shapes. The kids are actually pretty good at focusing and staying on task. To keep them in line, I made a card chart like the one in the states. I used my own elementary school experience, when we had to change our card if we got in trouble. All of them stayed green until today, when Daniel changed to yellow and had a time out for climbing on the railing when I said no. The punishment seemed to make an impact on him so that was good.

After activity, we take them up for their milk break, when they get warm fortified milk, and then march them up to the sink to brush their teeth. Then back down the tire steps for an outdoor game which is always the most difficult with minimum space. After that we have story time, and then rest time where they lay their heads down for 10 minutes and are still. It actually works! I never would have thought it possible but it does! It helps that play time is right after rest time, so we can threaten to shorten it if they don't try to close their eyes. And of course, play time at the end where they get access to several toys and play together. It's really quite lovely and runs well and all in all exciting :) Eddy has started to take over a bit with Kinder. We've worked it out so that I plan the lessons, and then he teaches most of them. So really, I kind of get the not as fun part and most the work... but I don't mind and he does do really well with the kids so I'm happy. One day, I even left class for a bit to check out the other classrooms. Zoe, the volunteer from England, had told me that it had been kind of difficult to keep everyone in reign, and boy was she right. Second grade was all out of their seats and not paying attention. The teacher was on the other side of the classroom with 1st grade so I kind of went up front and began barking orders and trying to get them listening. Waldy, who I adore, was in the class but she is the worst listener. I think she was kind of surprised when I got on her case. I was laughing the next day when she was telling me that I'm not allowed in her class anymore ha.

Other news... we have a bus!! It's so exciting. All for HHK. That way, the kids get to school on time, we don't squeeze thirty people into the van, and the kids from the jungle school don't have to walk quite as far. It's a nice bus too. On another note, Gerson is talking to me again! After a month of not acknowledging my existence, he is finally my friend again. I still have no idea what I did, but I'm happy his mood is over. The group from Kentucky left today. It's so strange having the house again almost to ourselves. It is me, Zoe from England, Ana from Germany, and Miriam who arrived today who is also from Germany. A good group. I'm sure I gained weight from the last two weeks. We had our meals cooked for us Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner- Kentucky style. Soooo good, but so bad at the same time. Ah well. I almost forgot!!! We got a puppy! She is adorable and her name is Fresita. I showed up to the Hogar on Sunday (which I also didn't mention which was the Valentines party and the Hogar looked gorgeous) and she was there. Someone had brought her their the day before. She is only about 4 weeks old and tiny and I decided that she could not stay there for a few weeks. So I took her back to our house so that she can get a little more durable and bigger, train her a bit and get her ready for life in a house with 22 kids. Soooo cute. She is good :)

2 comments:

  1. Maestria! You are a teacher Kyla! Keep up the good works! I remember Qiana getting switched to a yellow card a time or two!:) What ever works! Saw pictures of the new bus! So great! I think it is one of the nicest school buses I have ever seen! Good luck with the little puppy! So young!
    Hope you enjoy continued success with your Kinder class! Take Care, Luv Ya, Alexia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the full story of the puppy. I was wondering what your plan was. Great job on the kinder class. . . . I see your true colors are coming through. . . leading and managing. . . do you see? lutm, mom

    ReplyDelete