Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Easing our Way In

I currently have no idea where Natalie and Ethan are. It is seven and I am not worried exactly... but slightly confused. Although Eddie is gone as well so I am going to assume that they are with him for now. I hope they come back soon because I am starving. It's strange being in the house all by myself, but it is kind of nice as well. I got back around 5, took my first Honduran taxi over here, and then immediately began to clean the kitchen when I went to search for a clean cup and they were all scattered everywhere. The state of the kitchen would make my step mother crazy. Even I was a little worried about sanitation, so I began to clean off the counters and cabinets, wash dishes and scrub the grease from the stove. I also emptied out several science experiments of who knows what that were left in various containers in the kitchen. I am leaving the refrigerator for another day when I have more time and cleaning supplies to tackle whatever smell is wafting from it. Or maybe I'll make one of the others do it... Just kidding :)

Today we had a late start, and some time to catch up on some much needed sleep. Hopefully everyone got enough in reserve for the rest of the week as well, since we have a 5 am wake up call to catch the bus at the Hogar de Amor with the rest of the kids. David was nice enough to pick us up today at a more reasonable hour (10:30, I felt spoiled) and drive us to the Jungle School to get us settled in. We watched a little bit of the classes, and I believe it has been decided that we will be teaching the Kinder. They don't have a steady Kinder teacher right now, because the Spanish volunteers left and Luzmilla, one of the older girls who normally helps, has been out for the past few days. So the little one's are wandering around the school with no where to go. Now I have no idea how to begin teaching a Kinder class but I'll see what I can do. Also, Jack, if you get a chance to read this, Rosa want you to write her another letter ;) .

I headed back to the Hogar with David, before Natalie and Ethan who took the bus back with the kids. I was hoping I could make it to my class in time, but I got there half an hour late anyways. It's all right. It is so funny because David loads his truck up with kids who bounce around as he goes down the dirt road. Then, when they've reached their stop, they pound on the roof and off they go. We got to the Hogar and the two littlest ones were, Joel and Lula, were waiting at the gate. Both of them are so smart and remember so much it amazes me! Joel showed me around his room and asked about Brian. I was surprised that he remembered Brian and Danny! I asked about Nate as well and he called out "Enfermo!" which made me laugh so much. Lula decided to look through my back pack a little later. I had completely forgot that I put Rachel's letter to her in my pack this morning. Lula pulled out the letter to look at what it was, and the smile that lit her face when she saw her name on it was absolutely, perfectly beautiful. She looked at me for confirmation that she could take it, and when I nodded she disappeared to open it. A little later I went to look for her and she had all of the pictures spread around her, and the few dollars clutched in her hand. So little means so much.

My last stop for the day was to the Spanish class I signed up for. My teacher is very nice, so hopefully I'll start picking up on the language pretty quickly. Natalie and Ethan's parents, don't worry. They are back now. They went to dance class with the kids. Well, tomorrow bright and early!

1 comment:

  1. so it takes you to go to a third world country to actually clean?!?!

    ReplyDelete