Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Teacher? Me?

We started bright and early this morning with a 5 am wake up call. The familiar sound of my old alarm woke me up, which I brought along with me. I don't know if that's quite the sound I want to remember from home, but that's how it is. A taxi brought us over to the Hogar, and we waited for about 15 minutes for the bus. The kids post look outs around the corner, and when the bus comes they all yell and start sprinting to the bus. It is the funniest thing to watch. On our way back it is the same way, except more worrisome because running to the bus consists of traversing a long, steep set of tire stairs which definitely do not follow any sort of safety regulations. Ahead of me on the way down was a little tiny girl in my kinder class, not more than five years old. She was keeping up with the older kids until one of the boys swoops down and throws her over his shoulder and away they go. I was caught up in the rush as well, afraid by the kids pace that if I come last I'll be left behind. Who knows.

Today at the jungle school was quite the experience. David had told us that we would be helping in the Kinder, but what I didn't realize was that we (and as it turned out, I) would be the sole teacher for the little ones. I'll say strait off that they are the cutest things I have ever seen. In class today were 4 girls and two boys all around 3 and 4 years old. We arrived at the school, and the director separated us each into grades. He sent Natalie to help in 1st and 2nd grade, Ethan to 3rd and 4th, and me to Kinder. Natalie and Ethan were each helping the teacher, but for Kinder I was the teacher. I sat down in the classroom, in a mini chair around the mini table, with 6 mini people surrounding me looking at me for direction and I was completely overwhelmed. What am I going to do or teach these little ones who trustingly call me maestra? So I started simple, with names. I later attempted to begin on the alphabet, but quickly gave up that endeavor. I finally settled on letting them draw with crayons and play with Lego's for the four hours I had them. When one got bored I transferred him or her to another toy, simply attempting to keep them occupied. I enjoyed moderate success, since it isn't too difficult to let a four year old entertain him or herself. They really are extremely cute though. Kevin is the troublemaker, but also very intelligent. Yolani doesn't speak a word, but she was copying her letters when none of the others were listening. Avi has the most adorable smile and Keyla loves to be read to. Tomorrow I shall be more prepared. I will brainstorm something hopefully. Along with my 4 hour lesson plan, I need to brainstorm with Ethan for our first English class! The director asked us to begin tomorrow and politely dismissed my request to start next week. Ha, it shall be interesting.

Britta, I think it might be a good idea for you to come down to visit soon. Sherlin is asking me when you'll be here and remembers that you said in December! They truly remember everyone who say they will return, so I hope most everyone can make it in April! Reina's presents from Alexis were a huge hit. She proudly showed her watch of to me this morning and was thrilled when it said the exact same time as mine. Daniel was stoked with his new walkie talkie set, and Paola happily took her princess set with knowledge it was from her "amiga especial" Kylee. At the hogar in the afternoon a clown came to entertain the kids. Natalie and Ethan told me about it, as I was at Spanish classes, but apparently the clowns were a huge hit. Moises was dressed up as a gorilla, and Daniel was "cut in half". I also heard that Joel is taking after Danny with his power ranger moves. It poured this afternoon, and Natalie and Ethan walked back to the Volunteer house. There sopping when I got home. Very funny. Well, I'm off to plan lessons!

4 comments:

  1. Wow. . . sounds like a sink or swim tactic. Try to remember when you were in kindergarten. Reading books to the kids might be a good idea. I think they focused on starting sounds of words, where you draw pictures of works that start with a particular letter. Internet would be a good resource for kinder activites. Thanks for the entertaining, yet informative blogs! I look forward to them always. Keep it up. lutm, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine being a kindergarten teacher!!! That sounds exciting!!! I remember we did things like learning colors and shapes as well as arts and crafts in Mrs. Blakemore's class. Sounds like you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyla, There are dozens of CDs and a CD player, plus a cardboard box of lesson plans, all for kinder. The teachers know where they are. Use them and your life will be simpler. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyla, Love reading about your adventure! You will be a wonderful teacher! I loved being a pre-school teacher! That age is great to teach! They are so eager to learn! Routine is key, if you can get into a routine! They love to know what is next! Yes,colors,numbers,days of the week, calendar & letters! Make up a song! Have FUN! Look forward to hearing more!:) Love, Alexia

    ReplyDelete