Sunday, December 12, 2010

Just Hanging Out

Stayed home sick three days, hoping to ward of the worst, succeeded- or so I thought- acted normal on Saturday and Sunday, am paying for it now. The same illness as last time, only this time I at least know what it is. Tonsillitis. And trust me, I don't recommend it. Before, during the days I took off, I don't think it was full blown but now, because of my lack of care, it definitely is. On one side of my throat at least. The other is perfectly fine. Ugh. It's never ending. Ah well. It's been a good past couple of days. During my sick days, I was very productive. I read an entire book- (The Kite Runner, very good by the way. I recommend it. Cried through the whole thing). I also finished my rough draft of a story I was elected to write about Luz Mila. I think it turned out well, but there are many parts I need to work on, add and review. I'll post it soon once it is finished. Other news, all of the kids have facebooks now! Or almost all of them. If you want to wish any of them welcome to facebook, look them up. Tag photos of them and write them a message. They are thrilled. They can't exactly use them all that much, but the idea excites them. I think it's a little odd but a good idea. It lets all of the volunteers and sponsors keep in touch. Hopefully we can keep them up.

On Wednesday I missed an adventure. We had planned on going to spend the night at Geny's house on Tuesday, but the rain scared us away, so we moved it to Wednesday. Natalie and Ethan went but I couldn't because I was sick! I'm super bummed. They said they had a really good time and all of the family's filled them up on a ton of food. They went from house to house with an entourage of kids, ate food and met everyone's parents. Geny's family gave up two beds for them to sleep. Poor Natalie though got sick. She was throwing up all night. All of the food didn't sit well with her. In all they said they had a good experience. Luckily Geny has invited us back to spend next weekend with them. We'll see if I can make it this time. Three of the boys spent the night again on Friday. We made pasta and sauce, went on a little walk outside to look at lights, and gave the hot cocoa for the first time. I also had the urge to make a key lime pie of all things and after looking up the recipe I discovered it wasn't at all difficult to do. The boys finished off the entire pie that night and the next morning. I was considering being motherly and not letting them have both fruit loops and key lime pie for breakfast, but then decided against it. If they didn't eat it, it only meant I would ;) . The rest of the family came that morning to wish Natalie a good trip and say their goodbyes. I cooked up 5 pounds of home fried potatoes and 2 dozen eggs. The 14 people who were in our tiny casa polished it all off, complete with a full bag of bread. I'm still astonished. It was a sad goodbye. Natalie had visible tears running down her cheeks, and Glenda and some of the kids were tearing up also. It was strange, even for me who is not leaving, walking away from the group of them and towards the Hogar. The entire Hogar was so sweet and threw Natalie a going away party. They served food and the kids put on a little program in her honor. When the time came to say goodbye, it was so sad. Mostly for Natalie. One of the tia's said something that is really true. Volunteers get so much out of an experience like this, and to say goodbye to people they love is something foreign to them. It's always harder on the volunteers than the kids, because the kids lives have been full of past goodbyes. I truly hope that the time we spend here is for the better, and that it doesn't hurt the kids too much to say goodbye. I think, I know, that there is more good than bad in it. Plus, I know I will always be back.

I took Daniel and Rosa to see a movie today. It didn't work out completely as planned, but I had a really good time. Those two kids grab my heart. We went to eat at the mall and it was so difficult for the two to choose where to eat. They kept asking me to. Then I realized something. They never truly get to choose for themselves, not much at least. What they are doing every day, where they go, who they hang out with- everything is pre chosen. That has to be tough. Rosa also looked disconcerted. She told me that this was the first time that a volunteer had ever taken her out just to hang out. She was so happy, but she kept looking over her shoulder for the other kids. Rosa is the leader of the hogar. She is the second mother. She is, in a way, the boss. She is the one who organizes, teaches, cares for, and keeps the kids in order. When the group goes out to eat, she distributes the food equally. On the way over, I heard her giving instructions to Mercedes about how to portion out food. She takes on so much responsibility and I think most people who visit don't always see that. She tries to be strong all the time, but it's hard for a 14 year old girl to do so. The three of us wandered around the mall, looked at dresses, played some video games, and passed the time until the movie. I tried to get her to relax a bit and may have succeeded. She was so worried about how much money they were spending. As i said before, it's a weird thought to know that no one has ever really taken them out shopping and treated them to a nice day. Not their mother or an aunt. I felt the need to do something special for them, show them how much they are worth. That's what the day was really all about. Maribel was supposed to join us but she was a tad bit late. I think that worried Rosa, so she couldn't be completely worry free. Daniel was perfectly content to wander around and look. We saw Narnia together, and I really liked it. I wasn't too lost at all, even though it was in Spanish. I had brought some drinks into the theatre, a Dr. Pepper and Root Beer. Daniel took a sip of the rootbear and asked me where I got it, saying it tasted like medicine. I thought that was too funny. Maribel met up with us later and as we were talking I realized that she didn't know I was Stewart's daughter! She hadn't recognized me and I thought she knew. I told her and she became so excited and laughed at not knowing. It's funny to think she and Livio never would have known if I hadn't said something. I knew her from before, in my previous trips, but I had cut my hair and so she didn't know! Too funny. They were talking about my Dad and how he is always happy. I had to laugh.

So hopefully I shall make a quick recovery, be able to talk again and continue on! It will be very strange without Natalie here. She left this morning. I wish you all the safest travels Natalie! We'll miss you!

1 comment:

  1. Kyla, Sorry you were sick again! Hope you are all well now! I heard on the radio this morning that alot of the cast from TV's Glee is sick with Tonsillitis so they had to shut down filming till Jan. So you are not alone! You will miss Natalie & what will you do if there is another rat? Her family will be so happy to have her home! Is Ethan staying longer? Keep up the good work! Love Ya, Alexia

    ReplyDelete