Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A flurry of action

These days are passing too quickly!!! I've been so busy and so much has happened. The rest of Carrie and Britta's stay was quite fun. We went to Cayos Cochinos and hung out on the tropical beaches yet again. I felt so deliciously lazy, I loved it. I got a nice tan, snorkeled some, saw some amazing jelly fish, and enjoyed. When we got back, we got ready to go hang out at a house by the river for the night. Zoe, Carrie, Britta and I stayed there. The river is truly incredible and beautiful. I went down and read by its edge, listened to the water, and relaxed in the amazing beauty of the place I am at. On Saturday I left nice and early to go to San Pedro Sula to pick up the group! I was so excited. I brought Eloisa along and she thought I was quite crazy the way I was jumping up on down an I peered through this tiny slit where I could see Erica and others emerging. When Danielle came out, I about pushed her over from my hug, and then followed everyone else and it was hugs all around.

After loading up luggage, and the most donations I've ever seen a group bring, we traveled for some lunch, then to the hotel, and finally to the hogar in the night to drop by to say hi really quickly. As the bus pulled up, there were literally screams from inside the hogar in excitement. Everyone from last year got off as fast as they could to embrace their kids, and those who were new jumped right into playing and getting to know everyone. We spent Sunday at the river. The kids got there late because of a miscommunication, but once they were there everyone had tons of fun jumping from rocks and playing soccer etc. Poor Denia gashed open both of her feet. Denia is my closest friend here, 17 years old and one of the toughest girls you'll meet. To see her almost crying I knew she was in lots of pain. But we fixed her all up and it should be getting better. For dinner the group got to sample some Baleadas which they loved, though not quite as much as I love them haha. Needless to say they were delicious.

Yesterday was their first day working. I opted to continue helping with school and skip the hard manual labor. I think it was a good choice. Their project is to improve the water system so that there is a constant and reliable source of water for the kids. We have been without water for the kitchen and bathrooms for the past four days. The group hauled lots of sand, some hacked out a better path, and soon they will begin laying pipes. In the afternoon they all went rafting but I opted to stay behind at the river playing with the kids, since I'd been the week before. My plan was to wait for the rafts to pass, since I was hanging out near the end of the treck. So I passed a lovely 4 hours, playing, being smothered by little ones, etc. I figured they should be by about 3 30. Then it became 4, then 4 30 and at 5 I figured they weren't coming for whatever reason. Eloisa was staying with me,so I went in search of a telephone. Deanna lent me one and I eventually found service to call David. I was quite unsure what had happened. It turns out they simply left me! Ha. My own father forgot me. The rafts had stopped at a higher up place because the river was a tad shallow, and instead of coming to get me where I said I would be, they went back- assuming that I would have left by then! Absurdity. So I was more or less stranded up in the jungle. David did come to get me, and once I was back all the kids told me how worried they were, and how my dad was worried, and they asked if he would be mad at me. It was quite sweet. David had called Denia as well, and before he picked me up, she, Geni, and Brenda came running down in search of me. Denia looks at me and starts to tell me off about how she was studying and then David called so she came looking for me and she thought I was drowned. It was really sweet. I feel safe up there just because there are a lot of people who would take care of me.

Today was a different sort of day. Eloisa got sick this morning and is still sick and I'm quite worried about her. I don't know if she ate something or what. She didn't look to good all morning at the school, but she's one of the girls who could be dying but still have a smile on her face. She wasn't the only one. Joseal was crying because his teeth hurt. When I asked him to show me it was obvious why. He has two enormous holes drilled into his gums from cavity's. He needs them pulled badly and I told his dad that as well. The poor thing it was really hurting. Then I learned one of the girls was being sexually abused by and uncle and that just upset me because she is the sweetest thing. Sometimes things are just upsetting. A lot of the group was sick as well :( So I was wandering around quite worried.

A quick trip to the campisino village today, back to the hogar and then to dinner, and I am now here exhausted writing. Se vaya bien.

No comments:

Post a Comment