Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thank God for HHK

There are certain times when I am here that really make me realize the amazing work that HHK does. This past weekend drove that in for me more than any other time I have been here. I decided to go to El Progresso in order to attempt to make some connections with an organization called Students Helping Honduras, which also does awesome work. I had run into them on the Georgetown campus, and since I will be there soon I wanted to see what it was about. They have chapters all of the US that send volunteers down to build housing and schools in and around the El Progresso area. I met the director, Shin Fujiyama, and he and his crew have accomplished an amazing amount. It was great getting to talk with him and meet some people from Georgetown as well. It even looks like we may be able to work out some sort of work together with SHH and HHK, so that is exciting as well. We shall see if it develops. Hope so!

On Saturday morning I caught a bus over to El Progresso, about 2 hours from La Ceiba, and met up with the staff. A new group of 60 volunteers was coming in that day so I met a bunch of new people, and went with two of the girls to see Villa Soleada, which is the pioneer project of SHH. There are 44 homes there that were built I believe, with a community center and what will soon be a full running Children's home. It was nice seeing the families and the kids, and just taking everything in.

Sunday made a huge impact on me. SHH took their group to a state run orphanage in San Pedro Sula. It was awful. Simply awful. The minute I walked into the place I didn't like it, I can hardly imagine living there. It is built like a prison, complete with a guard tower. The rooms are all locked up, and the entire area smells. The only redeeming aspect is a nice play ground in the back, but besides from that there isn't much. The poor kids though are what got to me. These are not healthy kids. Almost all of the boys had scabs on their heads, and a lot of kids had cuts or wounds on their faces and bodies. These kids also weren't socially or mentally healthy most of them. There were  many special needs kids that were not getting the attention they needed. None of the kids get the attention they need. All of the kids are 13 or under and there are about 130 at the facility with 3 staff members to look after them all. One staff is dedicated to the 20 or so 'babies' in the nursery, another to the 20 special needs kids, and another to all the rest. These kids are growing up with almost a complete lack of any adult figure. They don't get medical attention, educational attention, basically no attention. They are growing up among kids in an environment that no kid should be in. But of course the answer is always the same. There just aren't the resources to take care of them. Not enough money sent over. Which is true, but why? So what's the answer. The only thing we can do is build a private orphanage and get them out, which is exactly what HHK did. Thank God our kids are where they are. I don't know if they were ever in a place like that but I certainly hope not. But now that I saw it, I can't stop thinking about the other kids. Who won't grow up healthily or develop correctly. Many will probably become social misfits or gang members.

I went into the baby ward. That for me was maybe the worst part. Cribs are stacked together, each with a baby or two in them. One of the babies was had arms and legs about as big as my thumb. She was absolutely tiny, and just sucking on her thumb like she was trying to eat it, but completely quiet. Others cried from hunger, from needing to be changed, from wanting attention from the one house mother who was paid to watch them. Not all of them were babies in the cribs. There were kids that looked at least 7 or 8 years old, who never developed past the baby phase. I don't know their stories but it's so difficult to see. I worry about the babies who wont get the love they need to grow. The entire thing was a mess and I did not leave that place a happy person. It's not fair.

So after that we grabbed lunch and I had a 2 hour bus ride to sit through with those images in my head. It almost surprises me though how quickly I can get  back into my normal routine, and not think about it. Maybe I"m in the mind set that I can't do anything at present, so it's better not to dwell on it, though I'll make sure not to forget. I am more convinced though that we need to make sure HHK's work continues. It takes so much to support a small orphanage, but the work is worth it. The kids deserve the attention. HHK isn't perfect, but it's quite a bit better than that. Of course it's resources that are the problem, and they could do more with more, but how will they ever get them. Ugh

Monday it was back to class and helping out with Kinder. Actually, thinking about it that's a lie. I came down with a 103 fever on Monday and was asleep all day. I don't know where it came from. Could have been from the orphanage. So that was fun. Tuesday was also a recovery day, but luckily by the night I was ready to go. We went out to a movie with the kids which was fun of course. Wednesday was school again, followed by the hogar and then a night time swim at the beach with the kids. I played some soccer and we all had a blast and it was awesome. I love them. All the time I spend with them only pounds this fact in more and more, and yet my brain echoes ' your leaving... your leaving....' but I try to deny it. Today I went with David to help drop off donations in the Campesino village. I hadn't seen it in quite awhile so it was good to go. In the afternoon we went to buy paint in order to paint the kinder class tomorrow and I spent a bunch of money. It was great. Then I went to the Hogar to pick up a batch of 5 kittens I am now currently caring for. The mother had them in the hogar and then left. They are quiet needy and will be more work, and the house is becoming a half way house for animals but they are adorable. So thats it, I am tired and goodnight!

1 comment:

  1. OMG Kyla, I couldn't imagine seeing the orphanage. That would do me in. You are brave!

    ReplyDelete