Saturday, November 6, 2010

Change of Plans

Trip to Roatan for the weekend was cancelled on account of rain. A lot of it. It rained for about 12 hours strait, and this isn't drizzle rain, this is pouring rain. The entire city was flooded. We took a taxi on Thursday morning, though at certain points a boat would have seemed more appropriate. There were some streets that had maybe 2 feet of water in them. I know this seems like an exaggeration but it isn't at all. We got to the Hogar only to find out that school was cancelled. The kids were ecstatic of course, and even I was a little relieved. I had some time to relax. We helped the kids do some studying because exams got moved to Friday, and the party that was scheduled was moved to Monday. Friday's classes went well. The first day without any major meltdowns in the Kinder. I had 9 kids and maintained order. It helped that Kevin didn't come until half way through. Though I was worried when I didn't see him. Even though he's a pain, I'm used to having him there. In English I gave a pop quiz. Something easy, just 20 words that they knew in English. Well they all groaned and it was just like I thought, they weren't actually absorbing all that much of what I have taught them. But I knew that, and was kind of waiting until Summer sessions start so that I can pass out binders and really start grammar. When I said to write 20 words, one of the Kids, Daniel whom I absolutely love, went and wrote 20 sentences. This kid is so smart and intelligent and sweet. He made me a bracelet today that you could tell he spent a lot of time on. He is one of the older boys and because of that hugs are not allowed ;), though I squeezed one out of him today for my bracelet. He is also the one that keeps bugging me about my shirt. On Thursday I made the mistake of wearing my Duke t-shirt. I didn't think anything of it and completely forgot what was on the back. Duke's mascot is the blue devils, so the back has a figure of a devil on top of the world. Well once I got to the Hogar all of the kids gasped and told me that I was bad. Whoops haha I kind of had a difficult time explaining that one away. That shirt is now relegated to pajama shirt I think. 

At the moment I am almost completely covered with an enormous rash. I have no idea what it is and discovered it on my arms this morning. It is simply a collage of little red dots, everywhere. They don't hurt or itch, but when I went to change into my bathing suit I found my stomach and back were three times worse. It isn't pretty and I'm hoping it just kind of disappears? We shall see about this one. I seem to be contracting the strangest things down here. We finally have internet in the house! Well kind of. It only works on half of our computers, but at least we can access the outside world. Once something breaks down here, it generally is out for good. First the Internet broke, then the hot water, now the toilet doesn't always flush, and the washing machine is on it's way out. But hey, we make do. Cristy brought in a TV unexpectedly so that is now a possibility. We are slowly settling in. 

Today was very fun. We took the kids out to the beach to run around. I didn't plan on going swimming because of my beautiful rash, but all the girls immediately ran up to me and gave me big, wet hugs. I did avoid being pushed in though. Natalie and Korey were not so lucky. We buried some of the boys in the sand and began a game of volleyball. When that failed, we changed to soccer and I got the most exercise I've had in awhile. Although I don't really know if it was exercise. I was simply completely out of breath. I'm not as terrible as I expected so it was kind of exciting. I'm also working on a few projects for the school; making profiles for all the Jungle School kids. No plans for tomorrow so probably will just hang out with the kids :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kyla, how is your rash? Keep me posted. sounds like you had an alergic reaction to something you ate. . . Try to figure our what different you ate that day. Thanks for the update. Sounds like every day is an adventure. My goal this week is to buy a camera and setup skype on my computer. I will let you know when I'm ready. lutm, mom

    ReplyDelete