Thursday, November 4, 2010

For once there was order

For the first time, I felt like the Kinder class was almost under control. It was quite nice. Only two meltdowns; Kevin was one of course, and Danielito the other. We began the morning with practicing numbers and coloring. Later, when I felt that was all the practice they could take, I pulled out some craft supplies to make pictures. I felt so prepared because the night before I made an example of how to cut out a flower, glue it on some paper and draw a sun. Add to that a few stickers and the kids couldn't be happier. We had a nice break in the middle while the kids went to drink their milk and when they returned we went on a hunt for some leaves in the forest to glue on some paper and make bracelets. Unfortunately the second craft finished a bit earlier than I wanted, so I had to improvise and let them the play. Well I did learn to never just let the play. They need some direction. So after five minutes of chaos, playtime was over and I read them several stories, which fortunately is something they enjoy. I let them out 15 minutes early and then freedom for one day. Oh I forgot to tell you the other day about the abundance of lice everywhere around me. Yes, it is quite disgusting at times. We could actually stare at Keyla's head at wait about a minute, and sure enough an enormous lice would surface and then bury back in. It was fascinating, but I am quite terrified because I have a bad premonition that I might be sharing her fate soon. Goodness I hope not. We drew some family trees today in English, learning relationships between mother, father, brother, sister etc. It wasn't my best class but they were kept busy. Tomorrow is the last day of classes before vacation. No more kinder for 2 months! Tomorrow is also my last day of Spanish class. I'm a little bummed because class is the only time I really get to practice, besides with the kids. When I'm at the volunteer house, everyone speaks English so I'm not surrounded as much as I would like. I'm so impatient with myself and want to know everything now. But I'm realizing that it is possible to stay here and never learn Spanish, and I don't want that to happen to me at all. I want to be able to speak well and semi- naturally. I'll have to find some Honduran friends that I can hang around.

Every day I am here, I hear another story of another child that breaks my heart. Today was Genie. Genie is the brother of Paola, one of the girls at the Hogar, and he is graduating this year from the Jungle School. Their mother died years ago, and his father (different than Paola's) has never been part of his life. He lives with his grandmother and often has to work to make money. He is only 13 years old. Right now we aren't sure if he is going to be able to continue to study, even though he wants nothing more than that. He didn't pass the entrance exam for the school that some of the other kids have gone to in the past. Anna was talking with his teachers, and they said that he is one of the quicker kids and more intelligent than some of the kids who did pass. His teacher thinks it was out of sheer nervousness that he did poorly. Anna and I are both concerned; she is going to try to raise enough funds when she goes back to spain to pay for him to go to school, but isn't sure if that solution will work with the school. He came to the Hogar today to talk and try to figure out something to do, and you could tell he was very dejected and nervous. She is going to start tutoring him next week, but she is only here for one week more. I promised that I would help and do what I can, keep an eye on him and tutor him in the subjects I know. Even if he can't go to the school, he still wants to study, so if need be I'll teach him myself or find someone who can, or something...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun and like you are settling in quite well! Do you practice spanish with Natalie, Corey, and Ethan at all at the volunteer house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Kyla. Yes you an make a difference!

    ReplyDelete