Thursday, November 18, 2010

Keeping Busy

Hey! Sorry for the break in writing. I've been busy helping out with sponsor work for HHK. I've decided to only write twice a week, so for those of you (probably just my mother ;) ) who are looking for my blogs, count on them on Saturday's and Tuesday's.

This week has been really great. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were classes at the jungle school in the morning. We got up at a nice and reasonable hour, 7:00, and headed over to the Hogar to get a ride from David with all the kids to the school. It is vacation school now, so the only class the kids have is English. After all my planning on Sunday, we ended up getting through only a quarter of the lesson, so I was extremely excited- it meant I had lessons for the rest of the days! I passed out the binders that Alexis had brought me, and they were all very excited to have it just for English. I also took pictures of them all and printed them out to glue in. I'm still teaching the second level class, and Natalie and Ethan are working with the first level. Unfortunately we can't use both classrooms until after the graduation so the first level is working out on the picnic tables below. I feel kind of bad but well.... I didn't want to do it. We have covered the alphabet and are working on pronunciation. I have determined that the silent "e" concept is extremely difficult for most of them to pick up (minus our class genius Daniel). Also, I have determined that English has no reason as to why we say certain words like we do, and therefore it is impossible to teach. But we're getting there. I worked out a system that every time they answer a question, volunteer, or win a game they get a star. When they have five stars they are allowed to choose a prize. I was so glad that it worked, because all of the kids are so proud of their stickers. When I got back wednesday I then proceeded to spend $30 on prizes, but its all for the cause.

Geny stayed the night on Tuesday again. We took him to take some pictures for his graduation after school and it was one of the funniest experiences. Me, Ethan and Natalie all went with him as the lady was taking them, and we stood behind her making funny faces to get him to smile. He was attempting to do the serious face that all of the kids do, but we weren't having any of it. We felt exactly like parents, coaching him on his smile and acting rediculous. It was fun. In the morning, on our way to school, we fit 30 people into the van built for 20. It was a miracle really that we all fit. I was extremely impressed.

Sherlin is no longer ignoring me. For about a two weeks she did not speak a word to me. Not one. Every time I would even look in her direction, she would leave the room. And then, yesterday she decided to be my friend again. She is the moodiest girl I have ever met. She gets attention in such strange ways. I'm really sad though. Britta was planning on coming down over winter break. Her and Sherlin were absolutely inseperable for the week that the group was here, and Sherlin has been looking forward to her visit since we got here. Now Britta is unsure if she can make it anymore- its always finances. I truly don't know if I have the heart to break the news to Sherlin. I don't want to add disappointment to this girl who I'm sure has had a lot of disappointment in her life. Hopefully things will work out.

Today there wasn't school at the Jungle School, but we taught a short English class at the Hogar. It went well more or less.  A little later David took us all to the SOS children's village, which is the orphanage he used to work at before breaking off and starting his own. There are 140 kids there but the facilities are very nice. There was a lot of open space and it is organized into houses. 8-10 kids live in a house, with a kitchen and living area, and a tia to watch over them. While we were there it was pouring rain, so we all congregated under a shelter, the Hogar kids and some of the SOS kids. David was there to drop off some rice and supplies. It was interesting seeing our kids interact with the others. They were very shy and timid, and seemed a little uncomfortable. I'm not sure why. The SOS kids were playing soccer in the rain, running through puddles (which looked more like lakes) and getting sopping wet. By the end I had joined them, fell several times, and was the only dripping one on the car ride back. So fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment