Saturday, November 20, 2010

Surprises

I started this post off with "Tomorrow was extremely fun", well that obviously makes a lot of sense. My english is doing so well here. Yesterday though was quite good. Right when I got to the Hogar, David was loading up the car with the kids to make a trip up to the river. My policy is always to go with David because you never know what your going to do, and it turned out pretty well. Some of the kids and I were in the back of his pick up, which is so extremely fun to stand up and have the wind in your face. We got to the jungle school and began helping haul up brick from the bottom to the top. Brick after brick. It brought back memories of my trip in April. The little ones were cute, sharing a block between two of them to haul up. By the end I was sweating so much. Laura was with me, and after the bricks, she and the kids lobbied David to go swimming in the river. He at first said no, but a chant went up and we got a nod, so we all ran down to the river and jumped in fully clothed, me with jeans on and everything. It felt so nice. On the way back we air dried in the truck and then it was nap time and I fell asleep on the couch.

Geni and Paco came over last night and we took them to see Harry Potter! It was so much fun, and it was the first time they had been to the movies. Imagine never going to the movies until you were 10 and 13 years old. We bought some maroon and yellow fabric and made ties and scarves before. No one ever dresses up in Honduras, so we were the strange gringos with Harry Potter costumes walking around, with two little one's (also dressed up) in tow. The movie was pretty dark, but they really liked the experience. I absolutely loved it, sooo good! They were so excited. Paco is the cutest boy alive. He is so excited about everything. Natalie was talking to Ethan and she said how happy he looked and he stops and looks at her and responds in English "I am happy!". We have been feeding them so much, we are a little afraid they are going to explode from too much food.

Today we spent most of the entire day cleaning. I don't know if this house has ever been cleaned. We washed down the kitchen walls, cleaned sinks, bathrooms, swept floors and scrubbed off rust and bacteria. And then after hours of cleaning we found them. First outside, and then later in our house. Maggots. Oh my gosh. I don't think I have ever been more disgusted. I'm still horrified. Outside in the trash at least it was understandable, but inside. Ugh I can't even talk about it more.

Our family has grown by one more child tonight. Just when we had about finished cleaning, we look outside and two of Geny's aunts are there with one of his cousins. We were quite surprised, but quickly let them in. It is always an adventure communicating with our limited spanish. I offered them something to eat, and then checked to see what we had and realized we had no snacks. So we ended up making pasta and sauce. We talked (kind of) for quite awhile, and they told me how grateful they were for the volunteers and the school. I learned a little about the kids families. Their mom died 4 years ago, and there dad ran off. He lives in the states but doesn't keep in contact. In the end, Natalie, Ethan and I decided that they came because they wanted to bring Geny's cousin, Alan, over because he has an infection on his knee. They were hoping we could get him some medicine. So we invited him to stay the night and took him to the farmacia. So now we have three sons. I love it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment