Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hondurafied

Well, we are officially becoming Hondurafied. We now know how to make balleadas! Yesterday was quite the day. A large chunk of Geni's extended family came to visit us. This included two of his aunts, his sister, and about 6 cousins, plus his brother and Alan who were already with us. We made a mountain of tortillas, beans, and cheese but sure enough, once we sat down to eat they all disappeared. They were so delicious though! We can now make balleadas and tajadas! (fried plantains that are delicious and taste like potatoes but better). Denia, Geni's sister, is teaching me some spanish. I had homework and everything. I see why people get tired when they are hosting people in their houses. Oh! Eddy moved out so now it's just the three of us. In a house to ourselves. It's a little strange. Tonight we randomly decided to get some exercise and stretch. This decision was made at about 11 o clock at night- you know, some midnight exercise. Lots of fun.

Teaching is getting a little easier. I'm  coming up with lesson plans without too much problems. The difficult part is still having that "teacher" air about me, that says Hey! Listen to me!. But i'm working on it. I have some older kids from the high school coming as well and they are all pretty far ahead of the other kids. Everything that my teachers ever complained about - different level of kids, missing school, not listening, not doing homework, being late- I now understand why it is frustrating. I enjoy it though for the most part.

On sunday a new group of volunteers arrived and we went to the river. It was a laid back outing, and I had some fun splashing around with the kids. All of the new group are either college juniors or seniors. I walked past them this morning as they were hauling sand up the huge steps at the jungle school and it brought back plenty of memories.

We are preparing for a thanksgiving feast! So that should be delicious. It will be a little HHK get together. All in all, everything seems to be going good!

No comments:

Post a Comment